So modified this a little for the hubs…he does not like Zucchini so we just ate the stuffing…YUM!!! Enjoy
- 6 medium zucchini + 1 small zucchini, optional, for garnish
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup water
- ¾ pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 (8 ounce can) tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen whole corn kernels
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 wood skewers, optional, for garnish
- Cut ¼ of 6 zucchini off lengthwise; finely chop 2 tops and set aside. Remove the inner flesh from zucchini, leaving about ¼-inch shell on the bottom and sides.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine rice, water and 1 tablespoon Dried Tomato & Garlic Pesto Mix. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook and crumble ground beef, chopped zucchini and 1 tablespoon Dried Tomato & Garlic Pesto Mix; drain off liquid. Stir in tomato sauce, corn and cooked rice. Let cool slightly. Stir in 1 cup cheese.
- Divide meat mixture among zucchini; place in a greased 13×9-inch baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 30 minutes. If desired, thinly slice remaining zucchini lengthwise into 6 slices. Thread on skewers to create sails; stick into boats.
Makes 6 servings.
Serve with a tomato, mozzarella cheese and basil salad.
Make Ahead & Freeze: Place rice and 1 tablespoon Dried Tomato & Garlic Pesto Mix in a quart freezer bag. Place beef and remaining Dried Tomato & Garlic Pesto Mix in a quart freezer bag. Place both bags in a gallon freezer bag. Seal well, label and freeze. Thaw completely. Continue with step 1.